Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back To School




Patterson is off to school again. He is in the second grade. He is growing up way too fast. It doesn't seem like it has already been 7 1/2 years since he was born. Patterson's teacher this year is Mrs. Flemmings. He seems to be doing well in class, but I am afraid he may be a little depressed at times. When Travis goes to pick him up, sometimes he comes out running, jumping around like the exuberant 7 year old he is, but other days he'll come out with his backpack dragging behind him and a glum look on his face. This makes me worry. What does a 7 year old have to be depressed about, particularly this 7 year old. Depression does run in our family, but I am hesitant to put him on anything. I don't like using medicine, unless it is absolutely necessary and I have not found some natural supplement that works. When he started first grade, he was diagnosed as borderline ADHD. We chose not to put him on meds, and had him do behavioral therapy sessions instead. They helped, but he is still a difficult child at times. (Alot of the time). I just hope that we can get past him be sad. It breaks a mothers heart to hear "Mom, I am sad. Nobody would play with me today," or "Mom, I am sad and I don't know why, I just feel sad." I just tried to make sure I give him lots of hugs and kisses and tell him how much I love him. And what a darn cute young man he is.

1 comment:

Karey said...

stephanie, he looks so much like you in this picture. I hope he isn't suffering from depression. that's a worry.