Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Runner I Want To Be

In my illustrious running career (ha, ha) I have entered and participated in a 1 mile run, three 5K's (one in 12 degree weather), a 10k, a 12k trail run (it was brutal) and a 1/2 marathon, 13.2 miles (also brutal).

My mother, among many others, think I am crazy. I simply love to challenge myself and see what I can do. Last year, when I completed my first 10K in 62 minutes, I was thrilled. The quickest I had completed my training runs was around an hour, fifteen minutes. When the opportunity came this year to try a trail run, I was anxious to try it. I started out the race, my gut is twisting, as I puffed up the hill. Thinking "what have I got myself into" I crest the hill, and as I slowly warm up, I begin to pass others. "I can do this," I think. I don't remember what my time was, but after a dozen ascents (a total of 1700 feet)and descents, a huge sense of accomplishment washes over me. Friendly faces smile and shout encouragement as I cross the finish line. It took me two days to recover. My legs were not used to all the climbing.

When it was time to register for the Governor's Cup, I remembered my trail run and thought "If I can do that, I can do a half marathon." I did do it, but boy did I overestimate myself. I should have trained more. I finished in two hours, thirty minutes. Next year I'll do better.

My future goals are to complete a marathon next year and in the near future compete in the local triathalon.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my running experiences, but if I were to say there has been any negative, it is that my family has only been at the finish line once. I have such a huge feeling of euphoria when I see that finish line, and the only thing that would make my experiences better is the support of my husband and boys. Maybe next time.

2 comments:

Karey said...

very inspiring. When do you find the time to train with running the daycare?

Unknown said...

To answere Karey's question, I try to exercise during the day encouraging the kids to stretch and exercise with me, and then after my boys go to bed at night, I will put a movie on and run/walk on the treadmill while I watch it.